Located in Somerset, it was the "family home" for many years, but was sold in the 1920's. Then it became an orphanage, then a hotel, and as of 12/98 (photo) it was being converted into four flats (one large flat, described below, and three smaller units). There is an adjacent church, St. Johns Horsington, which has plaques to various Dodington ancestors. A few miles away is Stowell, which has a church with additional Dodington ancestral tombs and records.
"Horsington House is situated in the charming Parish of Horsington, within a conservation area, surrounded by open farmland with nearby access to footpaths and bridleways. Horsington village, with predominantly period stone properties in the neighbourhood, has a well regarding primary school and public house. Templecombe main line railway station is less than one mile away and provides a regular service to London/Waterloo and Exeter; it has two small shops, Post Office, doctors’ surgery, pub and primary school. Wincanton is a short drive away and provides a comprehensive range of amenities with supermarkets. To the west lies the historic Abbey town of Sherborne which has an extensive range of leisure, shopping and educational amenities. The charming market town of Castle Cary, with a superb range of independent shops, also provides a mainline railway station on the London/Paddington line. Of note are the excellent choice of State and Private schools in the area, including Sherborne Boys, Girls and Prep, Wells Cathedral School, Millfield, Hazlegrove and Bruton.
"Horsington House is a distinctive early 19th Century country house constructed of stone with Doulting Stone Ashlar, as used in Wells Cathedral, with a slate roof. It stands in beautiful countryside with far reaching views over the Blackmore Vale. There is immediate and private access to the Church of St John The Baptist.
"From the large and impressive communal entrance hall a wooden internal door gives access to a small LOBBY and INNER CLOAKS area with downstairs CLOAKROOM. MUSIC ROOM – A magnificent room with double height domed ceiling and intricate carved detailing, feature column supports, french doors and windows to the lawns, wooden floorboards, and full height concertina doors through to the drawing room. DRAWING ROOM – with large dual aspect windows and French doors which flood this spacious room with light, open fireplace with ornate marble surround and mantle, inset with a cast iron grate on a granite hearth, deep cornicing and stripped floorboards, concertina doors back to the music room. Doors to side portico.
"KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM – dual aspect, with windows and French doors to the terrace, variegated welsh slate floor tiles, generous range of wall and base units, worktops with integrated dishwasher, ceramic sink and eye level double oven and extractor unit. Full height pantry/housekeepers cupboards, and a further built-in cupboard housing the boiler. Period cast iron fireplace and an impressive framed and cross beamed ceiling.
"DINING ROOM – French doors and windows to the terrace, cornicing, stairs to the first floor, and further access back to the lobby and inner hall.
"FIRST FLOOR, MASTER BEDROOM – This room enjoys a fine aspect and overlooks the lawns, church and far reaching views over the Blackmore Vale. Door through to – EN-SUITE BATH/SHOWER ROOM – with very generous dimensions and including a white suite of Bath, WC and pedestal basin, large shower enclosure/steam room, Jacuzzi style bath, ladder towel rails, tiled walls, slate effect flooring and French doors to a portico balcony. There are FOUR FURTHER DOUBLE BEDROOMS – One of which is currently used as a large STUDY/LIBRARY and TWO FURTHER BATHROOMS.
"GROUNDS AND GARDENS
"Horsington House is approached down a long sweeping tree lined drive through mainly lawned gardens with walled and fenced boundaries to the adjoining land. There is a parking area to the south west of the house with plenty of space for visitors and a row of garages, one of which belongs to the apartment.
"To the south east there is a large walled garden of about an acre, seeded with wild flowers, which lies next to the village church and has lovely views over the surrounding countryside. In the corner of this area, there is a large brick built outbuilding accessed via two garage doors and with a useful studio/garden room to one end.
"The communal areas of the grounds are well maintained and include a sunken garden (abundant with Spring flowers) and a tennis court (in need of some refurbishment). There is direct access from the property to the village of Horsington and to the church. In all the grounds amount to around 5 acres.
"DIRECTIONS, Heading South in the Templecombe direction, stay on the A357 ignoring the turnings signposted to Horsington. Pass through a wooded area and the driveway to Horsington House will be found on the left opposite the turning to Stowell.
For Historical information, current in 1792, please read:
Owners of Horsington:
*Christopher Dodington, --1657 (death)
George Dodington, 1657-1695
*William Dodington, 1695-1708
George Dodington, 1708-1757
Samuel Jackson Dodington, 1757-1813
William Manning Dodington, 1813-1853
*Thomas Marriott Dodington, 1853-1876
Thomas Marriott Dodington, 1876-1890
Roger Dodington, 1890-1923 (sold)
(* are ancestors of Sven Dodington)